Friday, December 7, 2012

Dare I start blogging again???

It has been forever since I have even visited my blog. I was so busy with school. I graduated in June 2012. Now I am searching for a job, which by the way, it not as easy as it use to be. There have been so many changes since my last posting. Patrick graduated from High School in June of 2012 also. We had a wonderful turn out for his graduation. It was so great to see those who could come and enjoy the weekend with him. Two months later, almost to the day, he was off to Basic Military Training in San Antonio, TX. I have to admit that those 8 1/2 weeks were the hardest of my life. You would think that being a military wife I would have been use to the ones I love being gone. I have to tell you that it is 100 times worse when it is your baby boy. So getting through those weeks without crying was a challenge. We were able to hear from him through letters, which he wrote home A LOT. Love him for that!! Also he would call on Saturday or Sunday, we never knew which day or what time. Which leads me into the first phone call home. I had forwarded the phone to my cell and I didn't even want to go to the store but we need stuff for dinner so Matt and I went. Well Patrick called. I will never forget which isle I was in or what we were looking for. I was so happy to hear his "Hi mom!! It is so great to hear your voice." Then there was silence. I honestly thought I had lost connection. I kept asking "Are you there Patrick...I can't hear you!!" Then I heard a sob and that just broke my heart. I quickly went to sit down so we could talk. We only had 15 minutes, which is not a lot of time and I wanted to have him call Mark on his cell so he could say hi. He was telling me all about what he was going through that first two weeks and we both were crying and trying to hold onto those quickly diminishing minutes. I finally told him he had to call his dad and we said our I Love Yous and disconnected. I was so overwhelmed, but I went back to the isle I was on...pasta by the way. Then a couple of minutes later my phone rings again and it's Patrick, he only had less than a minute but wanted to call me back to tell me he loved me. I got through my shopping and once in the safety of Matt's car, started bawling. Called my mom and cried some more. I was a freaking mess!!! LOL His first three letters were the hardest. He missed mom hugs and couldn't figure out what he was thinking. He hated Texas with a passion, but as the weeks went on he became stronger and his letters and calls were so much easier.

October 10th was so exciting for Ruth, Darryl, Mark, Matt and I. Ruth has purchased us all airline tickets to San Antonio, TX to see Patrick graduate. We got into San Antonio, TX around 6:30 PM. We got to the hotel and mom and Jim were there to greet us. This was going to be an awesome weekend. Thursday morning was the Airman's Run and Coin Ceremony. The Airman's Run was the first time we had seen Patrick since he left MEPS on the 14th of August. He looked so different. So tall and confident, at least more than before because he has always been confident. After the run we went to find our seats for the Coin Ceremony. It was hot & humid in TX. It was horrible, but I would do it again just to see my son. Matthew was the first to see him when he marched in. There were over 700 Airman graduating that day. We went through the ceremony and Matthew went to stand by Patrick. He said to Patrick, "If I touch you Mom will kill me". I quickly made my way to Patrick and we just hugged and cried!!! It was so wonderful to see my son again. We spent the rest of the day on base just talking and shopping and catching up. The next day was graduation and he looked so handsome in his uniform. That day we were able to go off base with him and we went to Ruth's favorite shoe factory and then to the River Walk. It was a long day, but spending it with Patrick was the best. Saturday was just a hang out at the hotel and have a home cooked meal day. We were able to have him longer (back on base by 10:30 pm). Then Sunday was another base liberty day. When it came time to say goodbye to head to the airport, I didn't want to let him go. Hardest day by far. He has grown up to be such a wonderful young man. He reported to Tech School the next day and that is where he is now. His new duty stations is in Cheyenne, WY. He wasn't thrilled at first, but has now warmed up to it.

So as we wait to pick Patrick up at the airport on the 22nd for his Christmas Exodus, Matthew has gotten himself a new job. He is now working at UPS, thanks to his Uncle Chris for letting him know there were openings. His first week was good but his second week was difficult. He was pretty sick and when you are sick an there were negative vibes going on at work, it really made it hard. He kicked his cold and he has been going strong ever since.

Mark is working at the brand new Fred Meyer. He is still looking for other work but in the mean time, he is loving what he is doing.

I am so thankful for my mother and father in-law for taking us to San Antonio, without them we wouldn't have been able to be there for Patrick. It is that kind of love that keeps us all going. Family is the most important. So as my final words to you all, love one another, don't let petty arguments come between you and your family. Be thoughtful of what your family members are going through. Don't be uncaring or sarcastic. Remember that they will be the ones that will be with you if something horrible happens, or if something wonderful happens. Life is too short to be selfish. I hope you all think about that during this holiday season!!! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

No comments: